12 Nov 2017

Registered for My First Half Marathon: The Vancouver First Half

So I just registered for my first half marathon. On February 11, 2018, I will run the Vancouver First Half Half Marathon. I am super pumped to do it. And I have exactly 3 months to train for it.

I think the course is a perfect first half marathon for me as well. As a Richmondite, hills are relatively unheard of on my runs. The Vancouver First Half course is also relatively flat. More info on the course map is available HERE.

I think the training will be relatively straightforward, because I am already comfortable running 10-15 km on a semi-regular basis. So I need to increase my comfortable distance by about 25%. Doable.

But what I would really like to do is complete the half in under 2 hours. That means I can run about 5:40 / km. What I would ideally like to do is complete the half in 1:45 (average 5:00 / km). But that may be a little ambitious.

In any case, I am looking forward to the challenge. And, at 36 years old, I'll be pushing my body farther than I have ever done before in my life. Better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment